Sunday, August 26, 2012

The Garden Provideth

This week we have Kohlrabi and Turnips.  They were starting to bolt so we had to get them out.  The funny thing about the turnips is Wife planted them for the greens - the packet at the nursery said Turnip Greens - and we did enjoy the greens.  But guess what, they produced turnips as well.  Go figure.  The Kohlrabi came for seed so that was pretty cool that they made such a nice harvest.


 
I will parboil them and then roast em. I will have more than I need so I'll freeze the excess.  We have lots of tomatoes coming in as well.  I'm going to use these in a soup base for dinner tonight.  Next up on the harvesting list.  Beets - another seed growing experiment.


6 comments:

Agent W said...

"Wife" has a green thumb!

terri said...

I don't think I've ever had turnips, or turnip greens for that matter. And I find it strange that you could grow just the greens part! I would have assumed that both parts would grow!

Beets... I love. We've never grown them and I'm not sure why. I should try these next year.

de-I said...

Well actually you can't grow the greens and turnips separately. I don't know why when we did think of that when we planted them.

Anonymous said...

No blog rant about me and my visit.. pfffff!
I'm never reading your blog again

-TR

alexis said...

I agree with Agent W, the garden has been amazing this year. And how jealous am I of turnip greens? Hilarious you didn't connect the two, but I often wonder what they do with the greens here. You only ever see the turnips..

Jules said...

I want to try and grow some tomatoes next year so I can make salsa. :) Don't think I will do beets, though...