Saturday, August 25, 2012

Beware the Escalator!!!!

When I posted last about our internet connection woes, it was from a Starbucks.  As I was going out of the house, I was listening to Wife (who having channeled her inner Tim) decided enough was enough and she was going to bull her way through the call center morass until we got some answers and satisfaction.

I wasn't there for the full play-by-play but the gist that I got from the retelling of the tale (this is one of those things that will go around the campfire as legend for years) is like this.

Wife gets on the phone with some Asian based call center person who gives them the party line- the party line being that "we know there is problem and some time it is going to be fixed but we can't tell you what the problem is or when it will be fixed.

Wife says this is not sufficient.  It's been days and our business depends on this.  She wants to talk to someone else.

Call center person tries to stay on script and repeats what has been said before

Wife starts interrupting the call center person telling them to stop reading the script and get her to someone who can help.  She tells them they've breached their contract and she's going to move to another service.

Call center person evidently notes this Wife's fourth phone call on this subject and calls on many other subjects.  Call center person says to Wife that she (Wife) has clearly escalated this engagement and call center person needs to send them to the Loyalty Department.

This Loyalty Department is an entirely different phone number.  Wife calls them.  The person in Loyalty starts right out by saying, I am in the U.S. , Oklahoma to be exact.  She then tells Wife exactly what the problem is (a local distribution point affecting 19 families is out and they are waiting for the part to arrive - I won't tell you my thoughts on a gigantic company that doesn't have the parts for its critical distribution system)

Wife lays into her on how we never got the speed we were promised when we switched and the cost this outage has been.  She gets us a lower rate going forward, prorated to when we started and a month of service comped.  Our service was up again 2 hours later.

Wife has retained the phone number and email of the Loyalty person.

Beware call centers she who escalates.

7 comments:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Wow, when I have a problem, I'll be calling her for tips on how to get it solved. Way to go, Aunt de-I!

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

And I have to admit that when I read the title of the post I thought someone had fallen down a moving stairway.

Agent W said...

Three cheers for "Wife" !!!! GO Glo!!

terri said...

I am whole-heartedly impressed! My impression upon meeting the lovely Wife was that of a gentle, quiet soul. Never would I have guessed that she could break the barrier of the call-center personnel and achieve such dramatic and successful results! YAY, Wife!

de-I said...

Right Terri - you always have to watch out for those sweet quiet gentile types...there the ones who will get you in the end.

alexis said...

Go mom, kick ass! Sucks you have to be so tenacious about it though just to get some answers.

Jules said...

NIcely done Wife!!! I hope you gave her a high five or made her a nice dinner for that!