Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Weekend Introduction

I say introduction because there's going to be a big ass cooking post but that comes in a day or so.  I really tried to relax.  I've been exhausted all week even though work hasn't been that hard.  Wife got me to realize that I've been dwelling on lots of stuff related to Dad and that mental energy has been a drain.  So although there was lots of work to do, I pretty much only did what was absolutely necessary.

Hiking was of course on the agenda.  There have been some gigantic forest fires a couple of hundred miles to the south of us.  Heavy winds were bringing the smoke up here and conditions did not let up until Monday.  But on Monday Wild Bill and I did one of our longer hikes.  I was pretty amazed at how well we did considering the many weekends I've been at sea level and infrequency of long hiking.

Wife and I also went to our local Asian supermarket.  I'd been meaning to do this for ages.  I use lots of Asian condiments and flavorings in my lo cal cooking and was just about of everything.  Plus I wanted to try some new stuff to give us more flavor variety.


This was just part of the haul.  If you blow the picture up you will see there's fenugreek and coriander seed (about a quarter of the price you pay in the regular supermarket...if you can find them).  There are 3 kinds Chinese sauces, double black soy sauce, Korean bulgogi sauce, a couple of Vietnamese flavor bases (chicken and duck), fermented tofu in sesame oil, and some spicy, sour coconut flavor base from Thailand.

Lot's of cooking fun in there.

5 comments:

terri said...

I'm looking at that picture thinking how if I bought all that stuff, I'd have the best of intentions, but a few years down the road, they'd be unopened and collecting dust. You, though? I know you'll put them to good use!

alexis said...

I love Asian flavorings but I have to be cautious these days as Munchy is eating what we eat. Ease her into them.

Glad you recognized you needed a mental break :)

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

I'm glad you got a chance to hike. I was thinking that with all the fires I've been hearing about, that the trails would all be closed.

Looking forward to your cooking posts.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

We went to an Indian market on Devon and it seemed like there were huge containers of spices for not much money. Is everyone taking advantage of whitey??

Jules said...

sometimes I just buy something with a weird label or a food I've never cooked with before just to experience it. I can't imagine actually knowing about all that stuff!