Friday, May 4, 2012

Evidently I Don't Vacation

Good friend, enthusiastic eating consumer, partner in nefarious deeds, and frequent client of de-I Sandia Outfitters (usually trying to have us lose her husband), Agent W is going through a rough spell.  Lot's of unanticipated life changes and having to be caregiver for family members out of state.  I gave her a call earlier in the week just to show support.

We were talking and she noted that Wife and I are going away this weekend.  She asked if were vacationing and I said we were flying into San Francisco, getting our new Global Entry Passes (more on that in future post),  then driving about 3.5 hours north to spend Saturday in a rental house on the coast with #1, 1A and family, then driving 5 hours south to see friends Lady Di and Steve for dinner on Sunday and then flying home Monday morning.

"Oh, said Agent W.  You're going on a trip then."  I inquired what the distinction was.  She said a vacation is where you go somewhere, plant yourself in a locale, occasionally go to do something, but mostly just relax.

According to this definition evidently Wife and I have never had a vacation in our life because there is literally NO time when our 'go somewhere' schedules don't resemble the schedule above.

4 comments:

terri said...

I think it's your own inability to sit still for any length of time that determines your travel style. Think back to the family reunion in Wisconsin. Could you just stay there and enjoy? No, you had to cook extraordinary food for the masses. Not to mention adding another leg to the trip to go visit some blog buddy in the neighboring state. (NOT that she was complaining, at ALL! She loved that you came to visit!)

alexis said...

LOL. I love the distinction! We do vacation sometimes at the chateau. I admit I go a little insane each time.

Jules said...

I never thought about there being a difference. I think as long as you are away from work and somewhat relaxing that should qualify!

Pulisha said...

Ooo, I got to see how those passes work when I was doing my consult at SFO. It will totally be worth it!