Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Mayday Mayday - Magical Unicorn Pony Travel God on my Tail!

Clearly the Church of the Born Again Aztecs needs to get back out on the street looking for sacrificial captives as I had a brush with Kchchiniquztzal, the Aztec version of the Magical Unicorn Pony Travel God yesterday.

I returned home from Connecticut on the usual flight I have through Washington, DC.  I looked at the weather and noted there were going to be scattered thunderstorms.  Thunderstorms are always an issue when traveling afternoons in the warm months and can frequently result in big disruptions.

We got on our plane fine, pushed back from the gate and were immediately put on indefinite air traffic control.  Pretty much the whole airport was.  After sitting on the tarmac for 2.5 hours we had to go back to the gate.  Most of our crew as now timed out (beyond the consecutive hours they are allowed to work).  If you're late in the day, there is a really, really good chance you're not going get out, so I was prepared to spend a night in the airport and not get home until Wed afternoon.  But by some miracle (maybe it was that UPS guy we sacrificed in March?) they found another crew. 

We ended up taking off about the time we were to arrive - four hours late - and I got home around 1:30 AM.  Thankfully I didn't have a meeting until 8 AM and I'm finished after a lunch meeting because I'm working on fumes.

7 comments:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Blech. Sounds like a rough end to a difficult trip.

alexis said...

phwew, is there ANY good time of the year to travel in the US? Winter snow storms, thunder in the summer...

de-I said...

Alexis - there you go again with your Euro hugging, American bashing comments again. There are at least 6 weeks in the fall when we don't have thunderstorms and snow in the US disrupting flying. And it is pretty common for another 6 weeks in April and May - as long as we don't get early heat or late snow. So there.

Julia said...

Yuck. Good thing your sacrifice worked, though!

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Yet another reason to NOT make 8 a.m. meetings!!!

terri said...

Is it typical to have a meeting BEFORE 8:00? My brain doesn't kick in until at least 8:00.

Sacrifice another UPS man just for insurance purposes for future travel.

de-I said...

Yes Terri. I frequently have breakfast meetings during the week and they usually start at 7:30.

Have to be careful of how many UPS guys I use up as UPS frequently is the method I get wine purchases.