Friday, April 27, 2012

Working The Transition

Over the last 12 years or so I've been very, very focused on growing my business for a lot of reasons.  But the most important was a recognition 12 years ago that I really had not give my career my absolute best and that not giving it my best was not consistent with my base values. 

So I gave up things like soccer coaching where I knew I'd done as much as I was ever going to do so I could commit totally to my work.  And I have to say, it has come much further than I would have ever imagined.  But starting with the kidney donation experience and moving on through the economic downturn and then my fall illness and the stuff with my Dad, the realities of my own aging and reduced energy have screamed to be recognized and acknowledged.

So about a year and half ago, I started a process of building how I was going to transition into what I will call retirement though what I have in mind is not what I would call the traditional view of retirement.  This was pretty interesting because working with business owners on their exit, succession, retirement, and transition issues is what I do for a living.  In essence I was making myself my client. 

In this process, I've found that I have and express all the issues that my clients have and that drive me up a wall.  It is even more annoying when I am aware that I have these issues but they still raise their ugly head.  But for the most part I've managed to do a pretty good job.  I'm finding that I don't have to work as hard, that I have most of my weekend to myself (not work), that I have more time during the week to do things like exercise so I don't have to get up as early and lose sleep.  And I'm making as much money and working almost exclusively on things that I enjoy and I'm good at.

The demon ego is still their.  The biggest frustration is knowing that I could grow my business much, much more...IF I had 10 or 15 year to work it and get a return on investment rather than the 5 that will take me to 70.  But for the most part, I have made peace with that.

In other news, I'm hiking to the top of Sandia Mountain tomorrow with Wild Bill and Gaius Derf - the first big hike of the season.  Yay!

5 comments:

Jules said...

It's always difficult being your own client. I don't know that from what you do, but when I wanted to be a wedding planner, I planned my own wedding. I was not a bridezilla, but knowing the types that are out there and after planning my own..I decided that might not be for me. Or I need to learn to deal with my pet peeves better first.

Have fun on the hike!

Pulisha said...

Hmmm, and you're always wondering where I get the whole over achievement/never satisfied thing from? Can't possibly be genetic ;)

Mike said...

I can understand your way of thinking. Whenever I do something, I want to be the best at it. A decade ago, all I did was work. I became very successful at whatever I happened to be doing at the time, but I had zero time for friends and family. Over the years, I've kinda come to realize that there are more important things in life than the success of a corporation. Granted, your situation is much different, as you OWN your company. It's still good that you're making time for things you enjoy outside of work, though. Hope you enjoy your hike!

terri said...

Your awareness doesn't prevent your issues from surfacing, but it DOES help you manage them productively. I'd say you've learned some of life's lessons very well.

alexis said...

Pulisha - touche! :)

It's hard to make those decisions - I think we all want to have it all and to admit to reality in our culture where you Dream The Big Dream it can be very haunting.

I think in particular it has been difficult because I really don't know that anyone else could take over your biz and see it succeed like that over the next 10-15 years either.