Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Zakushka Dinner Menu

This upcoming Epic Cooking Event is so big I having trouble even finding the time to take pictures let alone put together edited cooking posts. I think we're going to have around 25 people and there will be a combination cold and hot buffet accompanied by home made flavored vodkas (Dr. Deb and Cabinet Lady are doing those) - it is a Russian themed party after all. Here is what we're making. I'll do my best to get some pictures as we go along.

Cold Buffet:
  • Gravlax - home made
  • Pate de Campagne - home made
  • Traditional Russian Liver Pate - home made
  • Trout in Orange Marinade - home made
  • Selection of Cured Sausages and Hams - purchased
  • Selection of Imported Cheeses - purchased
  • Pickled Cabbage Salad - home made
  • Oil Cured Eggplant - home made
  • Pickled Carrots - home made
  • Pickled Mushrooms - home made
  • Tuna in Roasted Pepper Rolls - home made
  • Estonian Ham & Potato Salad in Herring Sour Cream Sauce - home made
Hot Buffet:
  • Tomato Basil Tart - home made
  • Wild Mushroom Ragout - home made
  • Meatballs in Sausage Sauce - home made
  • Chicken Wings in Saffron Sauce - home made
  • Kasha (a traditional Russian buckwheat grain) - home made
Breads:
  • Country White - home made
  • Central Asian Onion Flat Bread - home made
  • French Baguettes - purchased
  • Russian Style Black Bread - purchased
Dessert:
  • Charlotte Russe - a home made confection that has a base and sides of lady fingers and is filled with a custard, chilled and turned over and decorated with whipped cream. (another contribution of Cabinet Lady and Dr. Deb)
This last weekend I started the salmon curing, made the Pate de Campagne (hope to get some pictures up tomorrow), started the cabbage curing, pickled the mushrooms, and started the eggplant curing. I need to do the trout tomorrow or Thursday. Friday I will do all the hot meat dishes and the liver pate. Saturday I help Wife with the tart, Estonian salad, breads, etc.

This is going to be so good :)

7 comments:

Jules said...

What?? You're purchasing items for your dinner?! Unheard of! =) I, for one, am glad to see that some things are being purchased because of all the other homemade items. I would be drinking a beer while preparing all of that. I hope at least that once everything is out that you have a chance to sit down for at least 20 minutes and enjoy all of it!

alexis said...

sounds like quite the feast. the word epic comes to mind!

Bernice said...

I am worn out just reading the menu. Hope there will be pictures in an upcoming blog.

Mike said...

Holy cow. That is quite a spread. I'm looking forward to pictures and details of how it goes.

Xani said...

I want to come to this party!!

terri said...

This is an extremely ambitious menu! But that's just how you like your cooking to be, isn't it?

de-I said...

Jules - one of the beauties of this type of buffet meal is that ALL the food will be cooked ahead of time. Once the party starts, I'm done.

Xani - We have a spare bedroom and there are direct flights from BWI to Albuquerque :)

Terri - Right you are. I'm very excited about this and am confident it will come out well.