Saturday, February 18, 2012

Off Of Crisis Mode - Temporarily

So after spending 18 of the last 30 days in Connecticut ( I just got back from the last trip on Wednesday), we are no longer in crisis mode with Dad. He is on hospice and he does have cancer but the issues that put him in the hospital were a range of ancillary issues which have been cleared up.

He is working well with his support team at home which required hire hiring and integrating a live in certified nursing assistant plus some additional cleaning assistance and other aid. He's very weak from any kind of movement perspective but is capable of working on his computer again and is no longer exhausted all the time.

So now it's a question of when the next crisis occurs. Don't think it will be immediate but who knows. My older brother and I are going to start decreasing the amount of time out there to see just how stable things are.

It has been a blow to my income producing efforts (one of the risks associated with being a sole practitioner). But there has been some big positives in the form of a changed relationship and communication with my Dad. Without going into a whole bunch of gory details, let's just say that parenthood was something that he did because he loved my Mom and that it was never comfortable for him. For me to be in a position as has occurred where he verbally is telling me he loves me and appreciates me, is literally something I never thought I'd hear. So there's quite a bit of bittersweet taking place through all this.

5 comments:

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Awwww, that's nice!! Money isn't everything.

alexis said...

that is amazing. I hope in a few weeks when I'm out there we can enjoy a little time together as well.

Jules said...

I agree with Joe; money isn't everything! It's so nice to hear those words sometimes!

terri said...

Your dad's illness and all the worry, stress and financial strain are something I would never wish upon anyone. But as you've realized, this situation came with a beautiful gift.

I'm glad to hear your dad's situation has evened out some and he's got some of the help he needs.

Mike said...

Glad to hear he's doing better. Sorry he had to go through all of that, but it's nice to hear that you guys are getting closer.