Friday, December 16, 2011

Still More Prepping For The Invasion

I'm in Connecticut visiting with dear old Dad the original intimidator (O-I). Since I've been here I've felt the best I have since the onset of the great illness. In fact, I pretty much feel normal!. O-I is attributing it to his magical curative abilities not to mention the curing airs of Connecticut. First time of anyone going to Manchester to take the cure. Well I'm not looking gift horses in the mouth.

My sister, OK (Other Kidney) dropped over as she walks Dad's dog twice a day and asked me for pictures of all the grand kids. So I opened up my photo file and found not that many pictures of the grand kids but one butt ton of pictures of food and hiking! Hmmmm guess that shouldn't be that much of a surprise.

Before I left to come here last weekend when I made the lasagna, I also whipped up some slow cooked lamb (same stuff I made for the Chile Party), it freezes well. I didn't want to do it outside with the wood grill this time because of the cold so I did it in the oven. Didn't get quite the same flavor but Wife (who doesn't even like lamb!) pronounced it yummy.

Not that many step-by step pictures. But essentially you marinate your chunk of lamb (a leg in this case) over night with a paste of oil, herbs (rosemary, parsley), garlic, salt, and pepper. The next day you put into a very, very high oven for about 20 minutes and then slow roast with an aluminum foil tent at around 275 for 6 hours. In the pan are meat broth, carrots and onions. As the meat cooks, juices from the meat fall into the broth and the whole thing enriches.

Meanwhile reduce a bottle of red wine until it is about 1/8th its volume. When the meat is starting to get very tender, take it off the bone. Add the reduced wine and some Dijon mustard to the broth and the meat off the bone. Let cook again covered in the slow oven for another hour.

I will be serving this with some of the hot sauces that I did in the summer.

6 comments:

terri said...

So glad to hear you are feeling better. Were there ever any solid answers given for this mysterious illness?

Your lamb looks delicious. I've never made lamb. I've never reduced a bottle of wine. See, you just need to come visit more often.

de-I said...

I'm seeing the doctor again on Tue but since all my tests have been negative, no there have been no solid answers.

Pulisha said...

Oh yum, I so cannot wait to come home for the holidays (and eat...and drink...and, well, I guess we'll be glad to see you, too ;)

I'm glad you're finally feeling better. And ust in time for all of your germy grand-kids to descend upon you ;) You'll have to make another trip up to Connecticut when we all depart!

alexis said...

That looks delicious and I don't even like meat. Very glad you had a great weeekend with Grandpa and are feeling restored :)

Anonymous said...

Hm...I have never had lamb before. I think I would like to try it sometime.

Mike said...

I've never had lamb, but your picture looks delicious. I may have to give it a shot.

Glad you are feeling better.