Friday, December 2, 2011

de-I Orchardman In Training

Last year we had incredibly cold weather. Unlike years past we had not covered our peach tree and as a result - no peaches last summer. Mrs. de-I, guardian and CEO of all things garden-ish was not about to let that happen again. So on Tuesday I saw on our refrigerator door the five day forecast showing very cold weather approaching. At dinner I was told we would be "wrapping the tree".

Forget Christmas presents, this is a task of much greater scope. High winds were in the forecast before the temperature drop, so Wife had us out there Wednesday evening working away in the darkness getting something up. Unfortunately the winds we had Thursday were almost hurricane force (up to 90 miles an hour), and I'm afraid our first effort did not fare well.

But the temperature had not dropped, so Wife went out and bought more frost cloth and we started again.


This time we have used rope to tie the whole thing down so hopefully it will survive any winds (since those hurricane force winds are not something common).

7 comments:

terri said...

I have seen wrapped trees before, but the ones I've seen were wrapped around the tree trunk, not the branches. I'm not sure what purpose that serves, but I'm assuming those with greener thumbs than I know what they are doing.

It makes sense that covering the branches will provide some necessary protection for a tree that is used to a warmer climate. Hope your peaches return next year.

de-I said...

Terri:

The peach tree puts out its proto buds in the fall. So if they get a frost on them, it kills the buds that form the fruit. So you wrap the tree to keep the buds from getting frost.

Bernice said...

Add a string of lights and your outdoor decorations are finished.

Mike said...

Heh... looks like a little parachute.

I make no claims of knowing anything about the gardening realm. Maybe one of these days, now that we have a yard, I'll have to give it a shot.

Anonymous said...

It's so interesting that one layer of something, just against the buds, can make such a difference.

Mmm, peaches.

alexis said...

LOL! Yes, I totally second aunt B's idea!

Anonymous said...

Hope your peaches come back next year!! Too bad you didn't do this during halloween..you could have decorated it as a ghost too!