Sunday, September 11, 2011

Climb to the Top

As much as I hike in the Sandias, it is rare that I take the signature trail, the La Luz trail, one of only a few that allow you to climb directly to the summit. And most of the times I've done it, I cut short just before the summit and go to the Tram that takes you down.

On Saturday, I and Gaius Derf decided this would be our hike. The first part of the hike is deceptive because it has a gentle slope and accounts for the first 2/3rds of the 7.5 mile hike. (climb of 4,000 feet. This is made up for in the last 3rd where it is very steep with a long section crossing over 15 switchbacks of a huge rock slide. Derf wasn't feeling well so he turned back just before the rock slide. But I was filled with the lust of accomplishment and pushed on to the summit.

I was pretty freakin tired. And it got cold and rainy. It even snowed just a touch when I was at the top. It's another 2 miles or so from the summit to the Tram terminal. So about 9.5 miles all together.

The weather was pretty bad so I didn't take may pictures.



4 comments:

alexis said...

well done!I'd love to be able to do that hike some day

AW said...

Gongrats on making it to the top!

Anonymous said...

Even with the bad weather it still looks beautiful.

Mike said...

^ What Jules said.