Thursday, February 3, 2011

Battle of the Bulge - Breakfast

For my dieting psychology, eating a good breakfast is very important. The definition of good is:
  • I feel like I have eaten substantially
  • It carries me through the morning to lunch without hunger pangs
  • I have a feeling of enjoyment from the meal
This is my standard, at home breakfast that fills these needs. There are five components. These are:
  • A substantial portion of fruit - in this case it is a whole grapefruit. This is key. It provides a lot of bulk and a lot of flavor.
  • A reasonable amount of carbohydrate - that's the bread. This is probably the largest amount of carbs that I will eat during the day.
  • Three protein/fat components carefully rationed to minimize caloric intake and carefully selected to maximize flavor enjoyment - I like a European style breakfast so I usually have a small amount of some very good cheese, some kind of cured meat or fish (there's smoked salmon on this plate - I also eat a lot of prosciutto) and a few olives. You could substitute eggs, breakfast meats, etc.
The total here is around 600-700 calories.

I eat out a lot for business purposes. So I tend to go to the same places where I can design a breakfast where I can achieve the same goals - a lot of feeling of indulging/taste satisfaction while limiting caloric damage. I usually do this by focusing on an item I like a deleting items I can do without. For example at one restaurant they have a frittata with sausage in it. It is served with cheese and sour cream on it. I have that held off. I will have potatoes or toast but not both with an egg meal. Almost never other than above mentioned frittata will I eat breakfast meats.

Again what I've found works for me is making sure that I do not feel deprived-rather I've enjoyed myself, that I'm carried through the morning, and I stay within the caloric boundry.

4 comments:

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Yeah, my high protein breakfasts have been awesome as far as getting me through to lunch (and then some) without feeling hungry. Grapefruit is supposed to be awesome for you especially if dieting, but I just don't like them.

terri said...

Okay, so salmon and olives seem out of place on a breakfast plate, but then again, I always wake up hungry and love salty flavors first thing, so it actually sounds rather appealing. I think my biggest downfall is eating enough fruits (or vegetables.) Maybe the key is variety, like you've done.

alexis said...

I just started eating carbs again and now I need to stop... rats!

Anonymous said...

I like fruit but not sure how I feel about grapefruit. I may have to give it a shot sometime.