Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Flash Backs

Not from my sordid drugged youth mind you. On Monday, I had a colonoscopy. No big deal really. Just standard preventative maintenance. I go in early in the morning and they're prepping me and putting the IV in. All of a sudden I have this flood of memories and emotions of the kidney donation experience of a couple of years ago. Not just the operation part but the whole years of the experience. The nurse who was wheeling me in gives me this look and asks if I'm OK and I try to explain but there really isn't enough time. Very weird. I'm still having the feelings.

In the meantime, I'm in Chicago for work. Lakeview and lovely girlfriend LL took me out to dinner at one of their favorite neighborhood Italian places. Joe even let me pick out the wine. Sweet.

4 comments:

Mike said...

That does not sound like a fun procedure.

I don't know if I ever got to read about your kidney story. I may have to go digging through your archives and catch up.

terri said...

It's not surprising that you experienced such a flashback. I'm sure that the kidney donation experience was flooded with emotions and thoughts that overwhelmed you. (That was my experience, anyway.) Being back in a hospital setting probably made all the memories so much more vivid than they are during the course of a normal day.

alexis said...

it's amazing how memory is triggered by where and what, smells and sounds. It is something we discount too much I think

Anonymous said...

Memories come back to me when I hear different songs. Mmm...Italian food!