Saturday, November 6, 2010

Ex-Hooker Finds Happiness on the Internet

Yes, I am an ex-hooker. Not mind you the high style ones in Beverly Hills or Las Vegas' high roller pits nor the ones strolling the worse parts of town but....WAIT, WAIT WAIT!!!! NOT THAT TYPE OF HOOKER.

Oh. I mean a rugby hooker. The hooker on a rugby team is the equivalent of the center in American football. I played rugby for 6+ years after I got out of college and loved it. Alas, once I got out of school there was little if any opportunity for an American boy to indulge in watching his sport.

I eventually got involved in soccer coaching, coached girls soccer for 20 years, and really transferred my love to it.

Comes the World Cup this year and I was traveling or working for lots of the games. I discovered ESPN3, their streaming internet service. I'm hardly an early adopter but I'm no Luddite either. So I was trolling the other sports when to my shock and amazement they're showing rugby!

So now I'm following the French Top 14 league. Totally cool...in a sort of international geeky kind of way.

GO TOULOUSE!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun (although not for me)! It's nice when the Internet improves your life.

terri said...

The internet is great that way. Can't say as I'm interested in rugby or soccer or even American football, but I'm glad you found a way to feed your passion.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Once again, Michael and Geeky are spoken in the same sentence.

Something was on ESPN3.com today, or so the TV told me. I almost fired up the computer to check it out.

The computer is just a different kind of TV right?

alexis said...

My SA (South African) friends would be disappointed you are not following their leagues, but maybe they're on ESPN.4?

de-I said...

Well the French league is the only one their showing. I should see about some other services such as Fox Sports.

Mike said...

It's amazing what you can find online nowadays... especially on streaming video sites like that. Glad you were able to find it.

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen a rugby game in real life but I think it would be a lot of fun. I like the contact sports.