Monday, November 2, 2009

Slow Roasting

On our trip to New Zealand our last meal featured this awesome lamb dish. When restaurateur told me the cooking process, I was intrigued because I've never heard of it before. It is essentially cooking something very, very slowly over a long period and then finishing it in a very, very hot oven. The result gives you an exterior that is crispy but an interior that is like something that has been braised.

I played around with it for the first time with a pork shoulder (Boston Butt) last week and got good results. This week I attempted a chicken and a vegetable dish.

I started with a simple flavoring mix of salt, pepper and Hungarian Paprika


Put your bird into a large, heavy pot


Rub with your spice mixture.
Note I've turned the bird upside down.
It will give off fluid and I want the white meat that dries out to stay moist.
Add a little bit of fluid...not much at all. I used white wine.


Cover firmly with foil


Then put on the top.
This double seal is important to keep in all the moisture.


Cook in a 285 degree oven...that's right 285
The chicken only took 3 hours. My pork roast which was about 4 pounds took 6 hours.
Let the chicken cool in the fluid (breast moisturizing)
Then take it out and let it cool.
(I'm not sure this part was necessary but I was making it ahead of time)


Then cut into pieces.
I nuked the pieces for three minutes just to bring them up to heat.
I put the pieces, skin side up, in a pan that could take high heat.
That's heavy duty aluminum foil with plenty of Pam - No cleaning when done!
Finish the cooking at 500 degrees for about 20 minutes until the skin is good and crisp!



Did the same exact process with potatoes and leeks (one of the last things harvested from Wife's garden)


Leeks have a lot of sand in them so you clean them like the chard I explained last time.
Put them in water, agitate, the lift out of water into strainer. Repeat until water left no longer shows sand.


Into the pan with just salt, pepper and a little canned chicken broth.


Cook exactly like the chicken - 285 for three hours


Here's what it looks like at the end.
The leeks which were very tough came out soft and wonderful.


Finish the same way at 500 degrees. The leeks start browning and getting very caramelized.
Mmmmmmm


Don't waste those giblets!
Put them in with the leftover canned chicken stock.
Simmer for an hour or so and you have the base for a sauce.


This sauce was just the stock from the giblets, a little of the juice from chicken cooking reduced with a little sherry and half & half.

8 comments:

stef said...

so how was it? worth the lengthy process?

alexis said...

what a cool technique, I will definitely try that!

Anonymous said...

Interesting. And thanks for showing us that it can be done with vegetables too. I would have thought this was a meat-only technique.

terri said...

Sounds wonderful. We eat a lot of chicken here, so I definitely want to give this one a try.

Unknown said...

Sounds wonderful! You have explained it so well!

WeaselMomma said...

That looks like a great new way to serve chicken around here.

Mike said...

Wow... that looks awesome! I love chicken, and could eat it every single day and not have any complaints. What you described sounds amazing.

Anonymous said...

Wow looks good! I may have to try that one