Sunday, February 7, 2010

Good Grief - Where are the other 30 Guests


Maybe there is some deep genetic coding that is involved. But it seems that I am totally incapable of preparing food for a group without making twice as much quantity than is really needed. Case in point.

I decided to invite three couples from a business networking group I run to dinner. I rarely do this type of thing. Most of the time, we entertain just for a small number of people that we know well. I wanted to do tapas which is Spanish. It's basically really, really great bar food and there are literally hundreds of variations from every food type and preparation you can imagine.

Somehow I roped Wife into being a full co-collaborator into this project. With both of us working on the menu decisions, shopping, cooking, etc. It was much easier plus our mutual strengths really compliment each other.

Long story short we had so much food. In a tapas dinner we like to bring out one dish after another. By the time we were into our fourth and fifth rounds our guest (who I am keeping anonymous as they are business folk) were looking at us in utter terror - especially when they began to realize that we were only half way in!

The menus was:

  • 3 types of olives
  • 2 kinds of cheese
  • Cured Spanish ham
  • Chorizo dry cured sausage
  • Barcelona style rice saland
  • Marinated fish fillets
  • Shrimp tartlettes
  • Shrimp pancakes
  • Deep fried cheese cubes with shallot, parsley sauce
  • Chicken & cured ham croquettas (tiny deep fried balls)
  • Chicken wings in garlic sauce
  • Pork riblets in Spanish paprika sauce
  • Garlic shrimp
  • And for desert - a rolled cake with fresh rhubarb filling

Lots of wine naturally

To their credit, they really chowed down but I was still able to send three quart ziplock bags with Wife on to the Chicago children today and I will not have to cook until she gets back on Thursday.

For an idea of the quantity of food, the second picture was taken once everyone had pretty much stopped eating.

An attempt at learning is taking place. We have in fact made notes about limits to the number of dishes and the quantity in each dish and put it into our tapas cookbook.








6 comments:

WeaselMomma said...

That sure did look wonderful. I too only know how to cook for an army.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Mmmmmmm sounds delicious!!

Anonymous said...

Wow. That's a load of food. I think tapas restaurants tell you to plan on three or four dishes per person, but I find that a little extreme. Plus, they strictly ration each serving, so your dishes looked a bit fuller that theirs.

I bet the kids in Chicago didn't complain, though.

Unknown said...

Wow! "Cucina Magica" strikes again!!

I am sure your guests will always remember that evening!

Enjoy your week of not having to cook for yourself !!

Anonymous said...

That looks amazingly delicious! I'm a fan of leftovers so I like making 4 or 5 servings when I cook for Mike and I. I take my lunch to work almost every day, so it's nice to be able to take some chicken or pasta instead of a lean cuisine.

Mike said...

Holy crap. That is a LOT of food!! Sounds delicious too. Feel free to send some up this way if you have trouble getting rid of it. :P