Monday, April 21, 2008

Eastern-Central Europe - Culinary Interlude 2

The food on the boat is not one of the highlights of the trip, it being erratic in both quality of food and in service. And our favorite waiter was sent ashore yesterday for some reason, which was a bit of a bummer. However, one area where the kitchen has seemed to do well has been in the area of local culinary favorites. Today they are doing a “Bavarian” lunch buffet. Wife and I had planned to eat out for the last time but I decided to give this a try based on our prior experience – BINGO.

The star of the meal was roast-suckling pig. Since most of our fellow passengers are from the US and are fat and skin-o-phobes, I was able to score an amble portion of fatty meat with crispy skin for myself. Unfortunately there were lots of other yummy goodies like a herring salad that was pretty much just good herring (like they have in the Netherlands), a selection of great wursts with hot mustard, bread dumplings (a lot like a Thanksgiving stuffing ball!) and a good German Weissbier. There was more but I couldn’t keep track of it all. I’ve been pretty good on this trip at not over-eating but I totally went over the top on this one!

No comments: