Sunday, May 19, 2024

Around The World In 72 Days - Adjusting To Ghana

I suspected when we planned this trip that for Wife coming to Ghana was going to be a different kind of experience than prior travel we've done and a bit more of a challenge. For one, she would be experiencing the people and circumstances of Theodora first hand . A second is life and attitudes are so different here from any place she's been. Third, we're here a long time and (in many ways) we're doing this on our own is making a big difference. For example, when we went to Jordan and Albania, we had a tour company set up the entire trip and we only stayed a week. We're dealing with the issues and frustrations of doing things in a lesser developed country more directly.

We're finishing up our third day and my expectations have proven to be correct. We arrived on Wednesday evening from Istanbul after a 7+ hour flight. On Thursday we were right away giving Wife the visit to Theodora. Rather than speak for her, I will put in a link once she gets her own post up. But it was a busy day, with her meeting all kinds of people for the first time in a very, very, very different environment. 

On Friday and Saturday, we did some touring. Despite all my visiting to Accra, my activities are very much limited to what I do for work. I researched getting a guide. I was not happy at all with the pricing I was being offered. Using one of my local people, we finally settled on one. She's nice but a bit inexperienced. Our experience has been frustrating. I will go into this in more detail once I get some pictures up. Today we are resting up. We're going to my favorite pedicurist and will get something to eat. 

Tomorrow is a very busy day at Theodora since we are interviewing potential new participants. Wife is begging off. The office is pretty small and there is no comfortable place for her hang out. So she's going to stay at the apartment and work on getting all her pictures and posting done.

2 comments:

alexis said...

nice that you can combine a bit of work with visiting as well. Sounds indeed like tourism isn't really a well developed concept in Accra, amongst other issues of a developing nation.

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

I'm glad you have time to do some touristing this trip.