Friday, May 19, 2023

Mostly Spain 2023 - The Reality TV Show

 Actually it is not a TV show. It is the never ending tableau of activity in the harbor outside of our main room window. Vessels come and go. They get offloaded and reloaded. Some of the bigger fishing vessels come and go two or three times a day. Trucks come and go. Then there is all the recreational activity in the harbor and just outside in the ocean. Sailboats, some kind of lifeboat rowing way the heck out. When it's calm the paddle boarders are out. When it is windy, the sail boarders are all in. It just keep going. 

I would love to find someone who could explain to me all about the fishing part of the harbor operation in particular. I've asked around. At the tourist information office they acted like I was nuts to want to find out about it. I will keep trying. 

Another thing we've been doing is trying to NOT do things. I big part of our goal in staying in one place is to learn how not to run around like crazed gerbils on crack. And in general we've been able to do so. We are doing a bunch of research on the costs to stay here. One thing we've found is you could get a full year lease at a very nice furnished apartment for about $10,000. Compare that to the average Airbnb or VRBO lease for a reasonable apartment anywhere in the world which is about $130 a night. So let's say we make two trips of 60 days each. That comes to $15,600! Even if we don't get an expat visa, we could come to  Spain for half the year (two 90 day trips) for a third less occupancy cost! That's the kind of thing we are rolling around in our minds.

Sunset Photos from the Apartment





We had some internet issues which our apartment owners had people out to fix ASAP

I believe he was saying in Spanish, "Hm, I've never seen that before."

Stormy Morning Pictures




Menu del Dia Local Version

One of Wife's contacts through the Facebook Expat group suggested a local place with a Menu with 4 courses!  

First Course - Cream of Vegetable Soup with a very light but distinct flavor of pimenton and saffron. Very Good.

Our choices for second courses were both egg dishes. Wife had a dish with eggs scrambled with ham and artichokes. I had vegetables and ham with eggs baked in an oven covered in cheese. Both were quite good.

Main Courses

Wife had meatballs in a cream sauce with mushrooms. This was our least favorites. The meatballs had okay flavor but were overcooked and the sauce was bland. I had a cured baby pork lower leg. It was killer. I suspect it was brined because of how deep through the flavor was. It was my favorite of the meal.


Dessert

Wife had a chocolate brownie with ice cream. I am not sure how Spanish this is but it was very chocolaty and good. I just had a coffee. 

Drinks were included. I had wine and water, Wife had Coke Zero

$28...for the both of us...service and taxes included.

SIGNS OF THE WORLD

Outside of a Church. An indicator of where folks will be going in the afterlife.

A Study of the Port

I took a bunch of pictures and videos. I can't even begin to explain what they are. It is just a measure of all the activity that goes on there








2 comments:

alexis said...

the cost of living there is insanely low. I"m surprised the remote traveling hoards of young people haven't descended upon it like they have Portugal

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

The cost of a year long rental is amazing! You're thinking creatively about how to make something work, and I can't wait to see what you decide on!