Friday, February 3, 2023

Please Keep Your Preconceived Ideas To Yourself!

"I Rant Therefore I Am!" 

Denis Descartes - 1632, Antwerp

(Denis Descartes was René Descartes' second cousin. Terribly jealous of his cousin's fame, he plagiarized his cousin unmercifully but always with a bizarre twist. He died in 1641 while competing in a herring eating contest when a bone became lodged in his throat causing him to choke to death.)


It was a few weeks ago when I heard it yet again.

 

"de-I! Are you still working? I thought you were retired?"

 

What is it about people that they have this image in their mind of what 'retirement' should be and if you don't fit their preconceived notion, there must be something wrong with you. As best I can tell, this preconceived notion somehow encompasses an idea of sloth and inaction. God forbid someone should actually like to do things and utilize their freedom to pursue a different lifestyle.

 

I think a lot of this comes because the vast majority of people evidently hate what they do as their career. Seriously, I never gave it much thought over the past decades. I guess I was extremely lucky to have work I actually enjoyed and gave me satisfaction. Not that it was a bed of roses. No. And I was definitely ready  to leave the world of 'full-time work to make a living'.  But my preferred post-full-time work life of traveling like a maniac requires a bit more money than my retirement income can fund. (Damn. I tell you my addiction to lie flat, business class seats across oceans is expensive. Crack would have been cheaper!) so I continue to work at a modest level.

 

Oh, and of course there is Theodora. Well, if working on the most uplifting, joyous project that is changing the lives of so many people smacks to you of work, truly that is your problem, not mine. 

 

All I know is I feel pumped. I see all the cool things Wife and I are contemplating. I see Theodora continuing to grow and mature. I see us continuing to travel joyously. I feel so blessed and lucky.

 

Oh. Have I told you about Plan J.2.a?

3 comments:

alexis said...

this all sounds so dramatic

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

There are a lot of ways to earn a little bit of money when you are retired. And I have heard a surprising number of retired people be chastised for "not really retiring". It's weird. I am *so* glad that you have a lifestyle and projects that bring you so much happiness.

Bernice said...

I am sure that as a writer you are familiar with the concept of the "hook" that the author has at the end of each chapter. It makes you want to read further to find out what will happen next. Your posts about your future plans have many "hooks".