Saturday, October 1, 2022

A Miscellaneous Post Of Food And Other Things

Food

No

FOOD!

Food is a big part of my life and always a big component of my travel experiences. The food experience here in Cefalú as I've noted previously is very different than in past trips because we have been practicing 'living' here as opposed to 'visiting'. At home, we eat out rarely. I cook most of the time. And as I've related that has become a HUGE part of my daily activity and experience here. In this post, I am going to show a little of how that expresses itself. But I also have our eating experiences while we were in Denmark. Plus there are a few odds and ends that didn't fit into any prior post.


Danish Eating


Our first lunch out near where the 3's live



A lovely club sandwich that is nothing like the same name in the U.S. but good nonetheless


This is a roast pork sandwich with pickled red cabbage. Very good. Sandwiches here like in the Netherlands are eaten with a knife and a fork. Which seems to kind of negate the whole idea of a sandwich to begin.



Remnants of our great Chinese feast, post - No Sweden day. We had two kinds of dumplings, fried taro cake (that turned out to be great! No mean feat for anything with taro), a noodle soup, sweet & sour chicken (with the sauce separate so the breading on the chicken stayed crisp), fried rice noodles with duck (one of the big favorites), braised bok choy.



If you are going to be de-I, you deserve caviar!



A typical de-I Danish breakfast featuring soft scrambled eggs liberally flavored with caviar...I know you do the same



My meal at the Elsinore Street Food. 

That classic of Danish cuisine

Ramen



de-I Sicilian Eating


Each morning I get bread and veggies for the day's cooking. I now have my favorite baker and two favorite produce vendors. I am getting my fish and meat from our large, classy supermarket, the Gourmet Deco.


Today, bread, apple pastry, a potato, a small eggplant, some chard - Total cost $5


I cook in the pattern of Italy, buying most of what I want that day. But my cooking is my own. Today we are having a fish curry and braised greens. The curry paste and coconut milk I brought back from Copenhagen. They don't have it here.



Finished Dinner 

As mentioned, we usually eat our big meal at around 2pm



Plums are in season



In our new world, we have to find new snack food. Here we have corn nuts and, what is the best thing since Cheetos, Pizza Balls


All four of those props were eaten


We occasionally eat out.


A very good rendition of Caponata



Fresh pasta with mussels, shrimp, cherry tomatoes, and porcini mushrooms



Miscellaneous


What does it look like when you are in one of those carts in an airport. Wife, needing assistance in the Copenhagen airport





From the daily walks





Signs of the World

Tall Ships Sinking Zone




2 comments:

Bernice said...

OK.I don't get the "tall ships sinking zone".
Photos of your meals are great however.

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

I would love to try those pizza balls. I am a sucker for weird junk food. In Chicago I tried Polish bread soda. Unsurprisingly, it tasted like bread. And soda.