Monday, October 24, 2022

A Lesson In Linguistics

 With only a week to go, Wife and I are suddenly of the opinion we need to do a bunch of things that we'd passed over on in our zeal to practice living in a foreign country. One of these was going to a local cafe/pastry shop for a more traditional Sicilian breakfast. So if was off we went today. Here it was that I learned that what something is called in your own country often means something different in another country.

Breakfast


So you see the chocolate croissant, Wife's hot chocolate, my wurstel (hot dog in a blanket with ham and cheese and...

A Latte...

Yes that white drink.

Evidently if you want the 'Coffee' drink we call a 'latte' in the U.S., you have to say a Caffe Latte. Otherwise you get warm milk. 

It was pretty good warm milk

And I was happy to take a nap afterwards

1 comment:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Hah, hah! I can totally see myself making that mistake.