Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Not Going To Jail!

There was a while there when I wondered if as I made my way in a couple of weeks to board my plane to Ghana if I would be pulled off and hauled to jail. For I was on the verge of breaking the law in the most heinous way. For I was about to bail out on jury duty!  (Insert ominous music here)

I have found that being in the retirement year time zone makes you a prime target for jury duty. And indeed I have been called up regularly over the last 7 years or so. To be honest, I really don't mind it. I was actually on a jury a couple of years ago and found it a stimulating experience. I know that my fellow jurors and I did a very good job.

So it was that I was caltled again to serve last February. But I had already booked my first trip to Ghana. I asked for and received an exemption. Unfortunately, at that time I didn't understand how the system works so I was at the mercy of when they would reschedule me. Sure enough I get scheduled for yet another time I am headed to Ghana. This time when I requested my exemption, I was turned down.

Now what to do? I talked to a number of lawyers and people who work in the court system about how to deal with this. Almost to a man and woman I got this shrug of shoulder that said, "Damn if I know. Sounds like you are screwed and going to jail." (They didn't really say that. But it sounds a lot better for the purpose of story telling don't you think?).

I decided I was going to have to gird my loins and just get myself off to the courthouse and do battle with an unyielding and unreasonable bureaucracy. I had visions of calling the investigative reporters of the TV stations and making this a cause celebre. But in the event, I arrived at the Jury Management office, met this lovely woman named Jody, who took me to her office where we looked at the schedule and got me rescheduled. The whole process took about 10 minutes. She told me it was pending the Judge's approval, but that came without problem the next day.

So no jail time for me. And I promise you I will be there for my jury duty in August!


4 comments:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Honestly, I never would have guessed that this story would have a happy end. I think I read too much Kafka.

Bernice said...

Wait a minute. Isn't that when you PROMISED to visit us?

alexis said...

I am glad they decided not to jail the 74 year old guy going to do charity work for sex workers in an emerging economy.

de-I said...

Bernice...it was a question of jail or you. I love you...but not jail time love you :(

Alexis...I am old enough as is. Let's not add 2.5 years.