Thursday, June 20, 2013

More Hawaiian Home Scenes

The house the #2's are renting is right on the water which is great fun for 2B & 2.1 who really love to fish.

The Mighty Fisher Folk at Work


Not much was actually caught.  However 2.1 befriended a number of locals who were working the same area.  As a result they gave here a number of their extra fish.  This lead to a brief discussion between the cooks (#2 and I) as to who was going to clean the fish since neither of us had ever done this.  I stepped up to the plate.  The whole process wasn't has bad as I thought it would be except that all the knives in the rental were pretty dull.  One fish in particular (a very lively, larger one) had skin like chain mail.  I had to resort to a serrated knife.  I will give the younger ones credit.  No one was particularly squeamish.  In fact they were fascinated by the process. 

The fish 2.1 had gotten us were on the small side so #2 cut them into pieces and turned them into a fish stock.  Then the next day we went to Chinatown in Honolulu where they have great seafood markets where we picked up some larger fish, shrimp and clams.  That night 2B grilled some of the fish and shrimp while the rest were put in the stock.  It was a great feast for Wife and I who love fresh seafood and rarely get the opportunity back home.

2.1 was also taught by the locals how to gather sea urchin from the rocks, how to open them, and get the roe within...what is sold as Uni in sushi restaurants.

2.1's catch of local sea urchin

2.1 using unconventional sushi preparation techniques

2B and 2.1 in the course of their fishing also found that a number of sea turtles called this area home.  This lead to numerous attempts by all photo takers to capture a 'money shot'.  This was my best (not very) attempt.  If you expand it you can see it in the middle.  Wife got a much, much better one.





Finally, this trip was the first of my transition phase 2 trips, where I go where I want but take time to do work as I so choose.

 De-I Pacific Rim Headquarters
 

3 comments:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Oh, I like the idea of a Phase 2 transition trip. What a great view from your new branch headquarters.

alexis said...

I didn't know C was such a fisher! What a fantastic holiday home.

terri said...

Adventures in seafood! Why am I not surprised that you were able to concoct a delicious seafood dinner out of the gifted fish?