Friday, April 26, 2013

Putting Them To Work For A Good Cause

It was Wife's birthday last week.  I find birthday cards to be pretty maudlin so I've taken to writing free verse instead on birthdays, Valentines, Mother's Day, etc.  I don't think I'm the greatest writer but Wife seems to really appreciate them.

I was cooking as usual.  I wanted there to be more than us so I invited Agent W and Gaius Derf to join us.  Since I know Agent W gets upset if she can't help, I decided to preempt the problem by actually putting both of them to work!  I had Derf manning the veg prep area and put Agent W to work picking crab meat.

I prepared some roasted asparagus with aioli, a crab pasta with the a sauce from crab shells and home made pasta and an almond dessert souffle.   I was going to have Wife just take it easy but she responded to that idea with, "so you mean I'm being ostracized?"  So I put her to work too!

It was fun.  We were all working.  We had an assembly line going making the pasta with Derf working the machine, me pulling the dough, while Agent W and Wife were laying out the rolled out and cut up pasta.  We were drinking wine through out and we had a good time.  I really love making these dessert souffles.  They are so warm, smooth, and yummy.

Only one picture - Gaius Derf with the Happy Plate of Asparagus and Aioli


2 comments:

terri said...

Eating good food is so much more enjoyable when you've had a hand in preparing it. I'm sure that's why your food celebrations are such a success. The guests often get to help create the meal.

Happy belated Birthday to Mrs. de-I.

alexis said...

happy bday again mom! Love you so much.