Saturday, April 27, 2013

All Hail The Cuddler In Chief!

Well that might be a bit of an exaggeration.  I suspect she is really actually a newly minted C-2 (for you military types).  Probably not even a a cuddler first class.  But I am proud as all get out of her.

I speak of Wife's acceptance as a baby cuddler at the University of New Mexico Children's Hospital.  Baby Cuddlers do exactly what the title says.  There job is go around and give all those poor infants who have to stay in the hospital a good cuddle when there parents can't be there.  If you think about the long-term care issues associated with premature birth and other infant issues, parents who have to work and take care of other children can't be there all the time.  And if the parents aren't there, who is to give them any love and attention?  The medical staff has jobs to do.  So they have this volunteer position of baby cuddler.

Wife had been looking for a long time for something to volunteer at that felt right to her.  Wife and babies have this thing as you can ask my kids when she's visited them right after a new birth.  UNMH did not make this process easy.  You had to go through various interviews, orientations, training, and background checks.  It took her around 4 months to get certified.

But she starts on Thursday...has her official uniform of khaki pants and a UNMH volunteer shirt (evidently only available in men's small and large)...her security badge allowing her to go all over the hospital (anyone need anything?).

I'm very proud of her.

5 comments:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

What a great job! Congratulations!

terri said...

Congratulations to Mrs. de-I! I am jealous. I've often thought that I need to think about doing some volunteer activities. I had no idea there was such an opportunity. I would love to do that! Going to check into it here...

alexis said...

oh wow, I can't believe you forgot to mention that on our weekly call. I am firstly so jealous and second so totally stocked for mom. I can't help but think this is going to be awesome! Certainly ups and downs.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Outstanding!! Congratulations to Glo!

Pulisha said...

Yay mom!