Saturday, April 6, 2013

California Coasting in Pictures

Well, this doesn't quite hold a candle to the other half of the de-I clan that was on vacation, but we still had a great time.

Salinas Visiting Lady Di and Steve

Lady Di has a knack for food presentation that always blows my mind.
This was a lunch she just 'threw together'


Hiking in Central Coast is not like hiking in New Mexico
Can anyone say fog?







Our group effort making pasta





Having a picnic at a winery
(and purchasing one of our five cases of wine)




Pismo Beach

You can't go to the coast and not go to the beach can you?
1A, 1.1, and Wife


1.2 "I have to pinch myself to know this is for real!"


#1 Daughter




Hearst Castle - I've avoided this for many years.  Now that I've been there I don't know why because it was wonderful.

1.1 and I pretty excited going up on the bus around the winding mountain road


Views of the Main House
William Randolph Hearst built this so it would resemble a town in Southern Spain - Ronda where we just were in the fall!





There is artwork galore but I was particularly taken by the tapestries. 
Two of these shots were taken in the dining room




Even the ceilings impress




1.1 likes hiking.  Can't wait for her to visit New Mexico again.




We like to start wine appreciation young

(OK, OK it was empty)

Scene from the front of our rental in the vineyards


And looking at the house from the back


Chinese Food in Flagstaff AZ
A buddy turned me on to this great place during our drive back


8 comments:

terri said...

Looks and sounds like fun! You have a beautiful family.

(Did you say FIVE cases of wine?) :-)

de-I said...

Well it wasn't all just for me. I did get about a case and a half that friends asked me to purchase. So it was only 3.5 cases for me. A pittance right?

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

It looks beautiful. And I like the idea of buying all that wine - for months/years you'll be drinking the wine and remembering your vacation.

Bernice said...

I enjoyed your travelogue. Everyone looked so happy.

Tim said...

Wonderful pics !!

Pulisha said...

Love the pics, Dad. Good to see we're starting 1.2 out young (even if it was mostly empty ;). Miss you guys so much!

alexis said...

lots of wows, that castle is incredibly like the Spanish towns! And looks like you guys ate well the whole time!

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

"A palatial estate, Xanadu."

So she just threw that lunch together? Wow, that's impressive.