Thursday, April 21, 2011

Battle of the Bulge -Return of the Prodigal Son - Recipe Three - Indian Inspired Veg Soup

So you five faithful readers...you thought that just because I threw myself into a weekend of Italian besotted debauchery of food and wine that I had abandoned the Battle of the Bulge. But no, no I haven't. And as of this morning, I can tell you I was back down to the low point...the frustrating plateau of 175 and change where I have been stuck for months. And unfortunately we have lots of socializing this weekend followed by trips to Tampa and the Venerable Pu clan then Chicago. Not boding well.

So without further whining, another super lo cal recipe. I call this Indian Inspired Soup.

Sweetened dry coconut - 1/2 oz - 77 calories

Handy dandy pre-weighed 3 oz package of cooked chicken - 160 calories

1/2 cup canned tomato sauce - 40 calories

Turnip greens - 4 oz raw - parboiled, chopped - 27 calories

Zucchini - 10 oz chopped - 58 calories
Also chopped garlic and ginger - calories negligible
Not shown
3 1/2 cups chicken broth - 45 calories

Spices
Coriander seed, cumin seed, fennel seed, 1 dried red chile aboriol, small piece of cinnamon stick, fenugreek seed, whole clove
Toast over high heat until the smell starts to waft from the pan
Put into a coffee grinder (I have a separate one just for making spice blends) and grind to a powder.

Put coconut, tomato sauce and chicken broth into blender and blend until smooth

Saute garlic and ginger in 1 oz of oil (I used peanut oil) - 100 calories for the oil

Quickly run back to kitchen when you realize that you forgot to turn down the heat under the garlic and ginger and got distracted watching a soccer game on TV and add the zucchini and turnip greens.

Let them cook on medium low for around 10 minutes or until the zucchini is the firmness or softness you want. This lets the flavors permeate the vegetables too.


Accidentally hit the picture taking button of your phone.

Add the broth, tomato, coconut mixture and let simmer for around 10 minutes


This entire pot of soup was 510 calories and we were able to get a bowl each for dinner with a third left over.

Approximate calories per bowl - 170!

And it was muy yummy and very filling

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, does pureeing the coconut with the tomato and broth give you that hint of coconut that would normally come from coconut milk, without the thousand extra calories?

It looks really good.

terri said...

Only you are able to make green stuff look appealing to me!

alexis said...

second what RM said, tho 170 sounds positively depressing.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Hey if you want to lose weight while here...we'll lose weight!! Just say the word.

Michael Podolny said...

If I say yes to you Joe, I fear you'll just do it via the amputation route!

Mike said...

What Terri said.

I need to eat much healthier than I do. I'm taking notes.