Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The Effect of Circumstances on Experience

It is a well known phenomenon that our perception of enjoyment is influenced by the circumstances we are in. I was reminded of this drinking a beer today.

What were the circumstances?

I am just short or meeting my quota for frequent flier status on both of the airlines I fly on regularly. DREADFUL! To combat this, I organized a few days of intense flying. Today after meetings in the morning I did a flight and back from Albuquerque to Denver. That only took the afternoon. And now I'm catching a flight to Monterey California where I will do a meeting before coming back on Thu. And I will cap it off with jog back and forth to Phoenix on Sunday. All requirements taken care of.

So both the flights I'm on to and from Denver are really, really hot. I need to grab a bite to eat in Albuquerque and get a sandwich with a beer. Nice big frosty beer. It's been a long day (first meeting started at 7). Hot airplane cabins filled with people. Man that beer (Newcastle for those who care) was GOOOOD!

Was it better than any other Newcastle I've ever had? Don't know but it was great today.

5 comments:

WeaselMomma said...

No doubt that a frosty beer tastes best when you are hot and tired.

terri said...

I would've needed the beer just to wind down from all the travel and chaos.

Anonymous said...

Mmm....I love a good beer just when needed the most!

Unknown said...

That beer was well earned!!! Safe travels, my friend!!!

Mike said...

I try not to drink and fly.