Saturday, June 22, 2024

Why Do I LIke Travel Planning?

#3 asked me this question last week. She was in the midst of doing a bunch of travel planning and she said, "I wish I liked doing this as much as you do. Why do you like it?" I couldn't give her an answer. So I have been contemplating it.

I think a large part of it is related to enjoying problem-solving and plan building. That's pretty much what I did and do for my clients. They have trouble figuring things out. I help the clarify priorities, look at resources and restrictions, come up with action plans, and helping them to implement things. 

Actually as I really think about it, I'm pretty sure that's the reason. I remember doing an analysis of this way back when I was in the first phases of my post-work transitioning. It was one reason that travel and work for me never seemed to be working at odds because I liked the processes with each. 

Plus the planning done for travel has all kinds of mini-rewards that you don't get from doing consulting work. All the times you find something cool to do or stay. Getting a good deal on something. Finding a better (more time efficient, less costly, more comfortable) means of accomplishing what you want. 

I've actually said to people, I almost enjoy the planning more than the actual travel! 😂

2 comments:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

That does sound like a really great fit for your skill set. I don't love travel planning and I don't hate it. But I think I look for a lot less novelty in my travel then you do, so it's probably much easier.

alexis said...

I would be happy to give you more travel planning opportunities if you like!