Friday, June 14, 2024

Eggs On Rice

May I sing an ode to eggs on rice?

Yes, I may.

The rice must be flavored. Fried rice is wonderful. Jollof rice from West Africa? Yummy. All you have is plain left over rice? Add some soy sauce, fish sauce, and chile oil and it will be a fine base. Have some New Mexico Red Chile? Mix that up with the rice.

Put a bed of rice on your plate. Heat it up in the microwave.

Then, fry some eggs. Put a lot of oil in the fry pan. I like olive oil, vegetable oil, ghee, oils that have a high smoking point so you can get them good and hot. You are not quite deep frying your eggs which gets parts of the egg crispy. When you fry the eggs, they must be sunny side up and even slightly under cooked. Be sure to salt and pepper them liberally.

Put your eggs on the bed of warm rice. Pour the excess oil in the pan over the eggs (it finishes cooking the whites). Cut the eggs over the rice into bite size pieces so the runny yolk and white mix with the rice making an unctuous combination. 

I like eating this Thai style with a spoon and fork, my spoon doing most of the work. A nice, dark rich cup of coffee to accompany it, and maybe some melon, cherries, or berries. 

I fell into this meal a couple of years ago. It has become one of my culinary joys.

3 comments:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

What a heartfelt ode. You make it sound delicious, and a far cry from the eggs on French fries that most Spanish restaurants serve me for lunch.

de-I said...

LOL. It IS delicious!

alexis said...

move over, toast! I prefer brown rice. And I'll eat eggs pretty much in any state with most things