Thursday, April 27, 2023

Weird

 It is close to 10pm. I am awake. I have energy. I am writing. What is weird about this? Well for one, I am not fighting like a berserker to stay awake. 

My normal sleep pattern is I get up between 4:00 and 4:30 in the morning after about five hours of sleep. During the day I will usually get one or two 20 to 30 minute naps. Then by 9:30pm I am fighting the urge to sleep. I usually fight until I can get to 10:30 to 11:00. If I go to sleep any earlier, I will be up even earlier! Not acceptable.

But things have been different the last few weeks. Upon our return from our driving trip down south, I incurred an incredible pain in my left thigh. It 'literally' was the third worse pain in my life (after the kidney donation aftermath, and my uvulectomy. After five days of trying to soldier through, I sought out my doctor who said, "Agh! it might be a blood clot. That can be life threatening. Get your ass to an Urgent Care now. (Actually she didn't actually say 'Get your ass to...' but that's how I took it..) So at 5:30pm on a Friday night at 5:30pm I arrive at the Urgent Care. At 1:30am they haven't gotten all the tests. I've suffered hypothermia from the frigid hospital like environment. I've gotten my pain ridden sorry ass out of the hospital bed three times to ask "What the hell is going on?" But they have enough information to tell me I don't have a blood clot. YAY. I can still travel. As long as I can walk. 

At my doctor on Monday, she does a bunch of range of motion and strength tests and says with a great deal of authority, "It's not muscular and it is not your hip joint" (We had gotten X-Rays on that while at the Urgent Care.) When all else is eliminated, what is left is a nerve inflammation (which I've had before elsewhere in my body). There are a number of recommended treatments. One is a drug especially formulated for nerve inflammation. It has so many nasty potential side effects you have to ramp up the dosage by a third every three days. I've had no ill effects. Acupuncture is also advised. I have an acupuncture doctor and we've been successful with other nerve pain in the past. Between the two, I am light years better. Not normal, but certainly functional.

That leads us to today. While this has been going on, the nature of the nerve pain made sleeping extremely difficult. It also was debilitating to my leg strength. So I am on the mend now and working on both of these. This afternoon, just before 4pm, I am going to take a nap. I figure it will be the 30 minute normal nap. I don't get up until 5:36! I think there is a lot of healing and catching up to still be done. 

Please stay tuned much good content coming up. A whole new chapter and update on the Theodora Project plus the Eldership has been refitted and brought to the launch pad for another Old Folks Who Don't Know Better Adventure.

2 comments:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

That sounds like an adventure most of us would choose to skip. I'm glad you have some tools that are working against the pain, and I hope you are soon back to full speed ahead!

alexis said...

medical science is very much a process of elimination, unfortunately. Glad it's better!!