Sunday, April 9, 2023

New Mexico Ghost Towns + - The Very Large Array

 After Kelly and Magdalena, we headed further into the vast, mostly empty, interior of New Mexico for the 'plus' to our Ghost Town themed trip. Our quarry, he Very Large Array. 

What you say is the "Very Large Array"? It is one of the premier radio telescopes on Earth. For more detailed information here is a link to Wikipedia's page on it. Wife and de-I have a number in our circle of blog readers who are quite the science geeks. So us getting out there in-person definitely ups our cred among that community.

It is really amazing just how vast this operation is to be working as one single unit. This will give you and idea.


 And, of course, there was a very large array of photographs required to capture our experience. During this shoot I started to play around a bit more purposefully with shooting the same image in color, as well as in black and white to see the difference.










And can you believe it? The New Mexico edition of...

SIGNS OF THE WORLD

Geeky place...Geeky signs

 In New Mexico, we have no 'whimp' Rattlesnakes

 

3 comments:

alexis said...

I still can't believe you can just walk up to them, that's so cool.

Shawn said...

That is super cool to see. I knew about the Array before but never thought about what it actually looked like. I'd make a trip to see them the next time I'm in New Mexico

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

I've always wanted to see this! I'm so glad you went. It's really an amazing observatory.