Monday, June 29, 2020

The Joy Of The Long Breakfast

They say one should enjoy the little things in life. Savoring breakfast for me is one of those joys. It is one that of late I rarely get to do.

The nature of my locked-in life with projects covering many time zones and continents is that my meals tend to be hurried affairs during the workweek. To talk to Ghana, I often am in discussions from 5 to 7 am which is 11 to 1 PM in Ghana and then I need to be ready for my normal workday here. Then I bring in the wonderful volunteer effort of #3 in Amsterdam and that covers the lunch hours 12 to 2 (8 to 10 PM in Amsterdam).

Last Saturday while I had work to do, there was nothing pressing. Wife was sleeping late. So I decided I was going to indulge myself with a SLOW breakfast.

Now there is nothing special about the food I prepared. It is one of my regular breakfasts - fruit, cheese, smoked salmon, olives, bread, butter, coffee. But I made each mouthful linger, savoring the flavor. Slowly I make the rounds through the components, enjoying the quiet of our eating room with its wide sliding doors open so I can take in the smells of our garden.

It takes me an entire hour to eat breakfast...the same plate that I sometimes eat in 15 minutes during my normal workweek. It is total bliss.

3 comments:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

That sounds lovely! Add newspaper or a good book, as I know you frequently do, and it's a perfect way to start the day.

Bernice said...

I am working hard on learning to savor moments and events.

alexis said...

Sadly I would say 15 minutes for breakfast would be a long breakfast. Or lunch. Or dinner. LOL