Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Tipping Point

What kind of technology adopter are you?

Are you an early adopter? Need to get the latest and greatest? Are you even more at the forefront and need to be on the bleeding edge of all new technology?

Or maybe you are of the opposite persuasion. Maybe you take on technology at a slower pace. Maybe you wait to see how things work and then adopt them. Or you adopt only selectively. Perhaps you are even a Luddite and look to reject technology.

I am a tipping point adopter. What you ask is that? Well, you know what a tipping point is right? It is when something dramatic appears to happen out of the blue. But when analyzed you realize that forces have been building up for a long time until finally something big happens...the tipping point.

That is the way I am with technology (and I think with change in general). For a long time, I will determine that I really don't need something...that whatever is the status quo is fine. But underneath, subconsciously forces are building up until finally, we reach a tipping point. At which not only to I adopt the new technology but become a raving new convert for the technology.

A case in point - my new hearing aids.

I got my first pair of hearing aids about six and a half years ago. I had resisted but was having such problems functioning that based upon a great testimonial from a brother-in-law, I went and got them. It was life-changing. Over the years, however, they had become less effective. I thought I should go and have them adjusted but never got around to it. I was gradually slipping into a situation where I was again hearing and understanding less and less. Finally a couple of weeks ago, one of them stopped working altogether.

I went back to Costco (where I got them originally - great deals by the way...great deals). They looked at them and said they were at the end of their effective life and in fact couldn't get the part needed to fix it anymore. So I would be forced to buy a new pair.

Well, technology has advanced and the new pair is incredible. In fact, they are taking getting some used to because now just the sound of putting my pants on is really noticeable. But the coolest feature is that they pair with my smartphone! That means I can do all my phone calls using my hearing aids for both hearing and speaking. And they work the same for all audio-related apps so they work for my WhatsApp video calls and any music or other media I have on my phone.  And the controller for volume and function (normal and in noisy areas) are through the phone app as well as eliminating a separate device I had carry before. Plus the noise filtering for noisy environments is way better.

So I am happy as a clam enjoying my new technology...now that I have tipped over and actually adopted it.

4 comments:

alexis said...

I am so happy to hear about the new hearing aids! I can actually see people wearing those who don't have hearing problems when the price point drops. I think in terms of adoption that puts you in the late majority - just ahead of the laggards.

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

My technology adoption plan is that I do whatever my brother tells me to do. I understand that this plan won't work for everyone.

Your hearing aids sounds terrific. I'll need them in the future and it's awesome to hear that they work so well.

Bernice said...

I like to learn something new every day. Today it was the definition of "Luddite". Does that put me in the modern age?

Agent W said...

So happy you found great hearing aids! Amazing technology!!
I may need hearing aids soon, so your post is timely!