Saturday, August 11, 2018

New Record...

...for the shortest First Class upgrade ever!

Was coming home from Chicago yesterday from business. My plane was late taking off. I get up to the gate. I see there is one seat open in First Class. I see my name as first on the upgrade list. I saunter over to the counter and say,

"Good morning my good gate check-in person. I notice on yonder monitor that there be an open seat in First Class. And ye, verily on the very next screen I see the upgrade list with my name at number one. Does this imply that I might be the lucky United Mileage Plus customer to get this upgrade?"

The agent looks at me, at his own monitor.

"And you are indeed said de-I as the list is requiring?"

"Indeed I am."

He gives me a wry smile and prints out my new boarding pass.

Only a few minutes later we board the plane. I settle in. Give my drink order. Let the flight attendant know I will be taking the lunch offered. However there is a bit of commotion up front. This is a small CRJ 700 and the forward flight attendant sits in a jump seat that appears to be broken. They can't fix it. They are going to need a seat in First Class for the flight attendant to use on take off and landing. So I am told 'last in, first out'. So after 20 minutes, back I go into coach. It is not so bad. There is one seat just behind first class that has exceptional leg room and a place to store your carry-on in front.

I could have gone back to First after take off but because of the way everyone had moved around it would have been the bulkhead seat which would have had less leg room than I had currently so I just stayed.

3 comments:

Tom P said...

Feels a bit like the rug has gotten pulled out from under you!

alexis said...

did they deliver the drink to your new seat at least?

de-I said...

Alexis, they offered to give me the drink, meal everything, but it felt weird to me to be having all that service around my fellow coach passengers so I declined.