Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Niece Visits - Gluttony Ensues

Our dearest niece, RMG, came to visit us from her demesnes in the suburbs of Washington, D.C. There is a lot of guilt associated with our relationship with this niece because many, many years in the past, she had indicated a desire to explore professional cooking at a time that I owned an interest in a restaurant. I suggested at the time that she might try out doing this kind of work before plopping down many tens of thousands of dollars on culinary school.

Here is where our versions of the story go in different directions. I claim that she had the opportunity to find out the realities of this profession. She ultimately got a physics Ph.D. So you make your own conclusion. Her version is that I made vast quantities of profit while exploiting poor naive family members (I do kind of admire the Ferengi ethos).  Be that as it may, she is still a person we love and are honored when she wants to come visit.

Her requests were simple - She wanted green chile, red wine and going outside.

She got:
  • Multiple hikes
  • Cheese omelets with green chile
  • Homemade pasta Cacio e Pepe
  • a 20 year old Rhone wine
  • Homemade gelato
  • Homemade French bread with lots of French ripe cheese
  • An award winning wine from a defunct winery
We had a great time!

Come back soon RMG!

2 comments:

alexis said...

sounds like a great weekend!!

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

I heartily recommend the de-I Gastronomy Experiences Tour but the de-I Sandia Outfitters Hiking Extravaganza should be avoided. Particularly worrisome were the assurances of our tour leader that he would, um, certainly return with help if I fell down the hill.