The emphasis on reducing portion sizes substantially might lead one to not make certain types of foods that can only be done in a large amount like a roast or to not grow certain things because you would have more than you could eat. But I have adjusted by making these things any way and then breaking them down into smaller portions for freezing.
This Labor Day weekend was a case in point as I spent much of Saturday and Sunday doing various types of cooking and food prep. Among other things I:
- Processed many tomatoes into tomato pulp for freezing
- Made pesto from my quantities of basil
- Smoked two racks of ribs to be cut into individual ribs and frozen
- Made a home-made salsa from my plethora of tomatoes
- Made my FIRST EVER cake - an orange flavored Spanish style flourless cake
- Whipped up a dip using the pesto with sour cream
So I may not be doing the mega-entertaining but the cooking continues.