Sunday, July 23, 2017

Sleep Or The Lack Thereof

Sleep patterns and the amount one can sleep are all normal casualties as one gets older. In my case, my ability to sleep has diminished to a point where I can only sleep around 4 or 5 hours at a time before I wake up. This led to developing a pattern of napping once or twice during the day for around 20 minutes which seems to be sufficient.

But over the few months a really annoying version of the pattern has developed. With the coming of the summer heat, I've been getting up at 4:30 in order to get out hiking around 7:00 to beat the heat. On these days I will be in an extremely sound sleep when the alarm goes off usually with me feeling like I could have slept much more if only I had not needed to get up.

On the other hand on the days when I CAN sleep as late as I like, I am ALWAYS up much earlier than I have to be. Sometimes as early as 3:30 AM. I can almost never fall back into a deep sleep afterward.

It is exceedingly frustrating.

1 comment:

alexis said...

do you have to schedule your hikes? Perhaps you could not set your alarm for a couple week and just go hiking when your body gets you up that early anyways.