I was getting into my car to go to the airport when I saw a text from United Airlines. My first flight was going to take off an hour later than scheduled which would only leave me with 10 minutes to make my connection. Since they shut the plane doors 10 minutes before departure, that was clearly not going to work. Uh oh, Magical Unicorn Pony God of Travel throwing down the gauntlet again. You think you might be forgotten not being the road warrior but you're not.
So I got out of the car and called the airline. As I've said many times in the past, these are the times you cherish having your frequent flyer status. They were able to book me on a flight that left at 6 AM went through Denver and got me to Chicago at 11:30. I got a decent seat on the Denver flight but was going to have to sit in the middle to Chicago. So here is what transpired from that point on.
- Called the client's wife who was relieved we would be meeting later and said she would pick me up at the airport.
- Called my hotel (where I have minor status), told them of my flight issue. They saved my room and said they would not charge me for the first night.
- Got my new flight information. Went to check-in online and decided to check seat availability. A window seat in an exit row had opened up. Sweet! Grabbed it.
- Got an email telling me I was upgraded to First for my return flight. Really? Sweet!
- Went to airport for ridiculously early 6 AM flight and went through the TSA Pre line in literally 3 minutes.
- As I was boarding the plane, the gate agent said, "Oh you've been upgraded to First. Really? Sweet!
- Although my connection in Denver was tight, the inbound flight was on time and the flights were only five gates apart.
- Got on the plane and was settling into my window seat when a gate agent swam through the boarding passengers and said, "Mr. Palohdalny you want your upgrade?" "Uh sure." Sweet!
- Going back home I whizzed through the TSA Pre line again in just minutes.