Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Cooking In The Semi-Retired State

I find that much in the daily gastronomic world is changing now that I am firmly entrenched in a semi-retirement state. These changes are the result of:
  • More time available daily to cook
  • Need to decrease consumption of food associated with declining metabolism
  • Decreasing ability to eat various things associated with age (i.e. large quantities, overly rich food, etc.)
  • Increased desire to be creative
While one of the manifestations has been trying to expand flavors I cook with and being a bit more creative with building flavor bases, I think the most interesting development has been the desire to make use of everything. This means that whatever is cooked gets used to the fullest. It often means the reprocessing of leftovers into soups and it means cooking more larger cuts of meat and then processing it into a variety of meals and ingredients.  For example for our Sunday dinner last weekend I made roasted a turkey breast that served as dinner. The major part of the meat was harvested into 6 oz packets for future use. All the little bits of meat and pan juices were added with other leftovers for a stew. Finally the carcass was turned into a stock.

I'd like to delude myself that I am being incredibly frugal and not wasteful. However it is hard to maintain that illusion when two people share a 3200 square foot house with no other occupants.

3 comments:

alexis said...

just remember when you cook for younger people, we need more food. ;)

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

When I cook for my two parents, I find that doubling what I cook for myself makes just about the right amount for the three of us.

And you should be commended for your lack of food waste, regardless of what the rest of your consumption patterns are :)

Tee said...

I find too that as I get older, it bothers me more and more the amount of food that gets wasted. I can't say I've become as creative as you in putting it to better use. Mostly, it's just me scolding the hubby at the grocery store when he wants to buy ten boxes of brownie mix just because they're on sale 10 for $10. And I'm constantly telling him he can't buy foods with the idea that "we'll use it for something." Because we won't. So if there isn't a menu plan for it, or it's not a snack item that's sure to be eaten within the next seven days, I won't buy it.