Sunday, November 3, 2013

Picking Up The Excercise Pace

I don't think I'm what you'd call a slug.  I've always done some degree of physical activity.  But as various ailments such as arthritis and other things have done their thing over the years, I definitely found that I was limited in what I could do.  And I've never ever been a big fan of doing upper body work.  And I hate...I mean really hate...going to gyms or anything where there are others around.

So while I'm a reasonably strong walker/hiker, the rest of me is (to be kind) underdeveloped (as in Zaire underdeveloped).  It was a word from the doctor (as what got me to finally lose some weight) that finally got under my skin and made me look to do something different.

That different came in the form of a consultation with a physical therapist/exercise guy who specializes in folks over 50.  This was Wife's idea.  She had done some stuff with him and really liked him.  And he would come to our house and do a consultation.  This was the key for me.  I know that the greatest chance of me changing is if I can do it as a mild addition to an already existing habit.  So this guy came by and showed us a bunch of core strengthening and upper body strengthening stuff we could do with our home set up.  As he was coaching us I saw how I could add this to my existing yoga regime I do many mornings.  He also encouraged us to pick up the pace on our cardio work.

So what I've ended up doing is one day of yoga and core/upper body work and one day of meditation and cardio.  It's been a month and I've been very good.  It is only a mild adjustment to what I was already doing so I'm hopeful that I will keep with it.  I do see some results.  Both the core and upper body work also seem to work on my legs.  So I feel like my leg strength is improving.  That in turn is allowing me to push my walks in the foothills harder.  So far nothing seems to be stressed.

I'm realistic though.  I doubt this is going to have much effect on my physique.  After decades of neglect 6-pack abs are not a realistic goal.  Maybe 16 oz pour abs are attainable.

And a quick reminder of why we love New Mexico




2 comments:

terri said...

I can understand. I never wanted to join a gym. But I did. Once I did, the idea that I was making a monthly payment kept me going there (except for a recent hiatus) pretty regularly. Even at the gym, I get stuck in a particular routine and am hard-pressed to try something different. Lately, I've been doing a workout at home with a DVD and I'm surprised that I'm keeping up with it. (It's a toughie.) But definitely, those visible physical changes come much more slowly, if at all, at this age.

I like the thought of meditation and yoga. I'm really bad at yoga, but I always hear such great things about it. I might have to explore that idea next.

You certainly have some beautiful scenery for hiking!

alexis said...

ugh! I need to get on the strengthening regime. Going to just wait a few months for things to settle.

LOVE those pictures. Gorgeous.