Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day Thoughts

I am a veteran.  I served during Viet Nam.  I didn't try to avoid the draft.  I just went.  I was very, very, very lucky.  I had orders to go over.  They had a one letter error on them (wrong job code).  The orders were sent back and never came back.  I spent my whole tour in Alabama.

I used to feel guilty that I got saved when so many I knew had to go and either didn't make it back or came back with scars physical and mental to show for it.  But any other vet that I've discussed this with always has said that there is no reason to be guilty because the whole think was f'ed up from beginning to the end.

Which gets me to my subject, which is the bitterness I feel when I hear all the glorifying of our heroes who have died to protect us.  I read a lot of history.  A LOT.  I've read tomes on just about every war we've ever fought and many that others have fought.  The one theme that comes through again and again and again is how the vast majority of wars have nothing to do with noble causes and a whole lot to do with the ego and incompetency of leaders.  Any history of war is a never ending litany of leaders whose own lack of skill or overwhelming ego leads to the loss of lives upon countless lives.

So do I honor the sacrifice of those who have fought our wars?  Sure I do.  And there certainly are times when wars do have justice associated with.  But I mourn a helluva a lot more for all the unnecessary lives that have been lost because human leaders just can't get their egos out of the way of their judgement.

4 comments:

terri said...

You WERE very lucky and I'm glad. Seems like Vietnam vets suffered the most emotional and mental damage. It's all so senseless.

alexis said...

very thought provoking entry. I feel blessed I've not been drafted or had to go to war. I agree that most wars haven't been a good investment of time.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Our leader's #1 responsibility is to not put our soldiers unnecessarily in harms way. It's one of the main reasons I think the Bush administration was a failure.

The Count said...

War... What is it good for? Absolutely Nothing!