Saturday, June 12, 2010

A New Trail

Wild Bill and I decided to try a new trail, the North Crest Trail, that goes from north of the mountain to the top. We were only going a short way. We don't usually go to this trail because it is healthy hike from our homes (around 20-25 miles) and you have to go on a pretty rough dirt road to get to the trail head.

But you are rewarded by a virtual absence of other hikers (good if you like solitude or want to be eaten by a bear; not so good if you get hurt on the trail by yourself or don't want to be eaten by a bear).

It's a really nice trail with a good climb but a nice steady slope...no clambering over rocks!

On the way up, I noticed this great view across a valley of what looks like an old Spanish or Pueblo town.


And a nice view of Ortiz Mountains to the Northeast



Wild Bill went into the brush and after a short tussle with another hiker won himself this neat backpack.

We had gone about an hour and 3/4 and based on the map figured we'd gone about 3.5 miles and climbed from 6400 to 8400 - a pretty good hike. Not long after we started back we came to a point where I looked down and saw our starting point. I could see our car. That was pretty cool.

That brown spot right smack dab in the center is where the car is. Can't quite see it in the picture. There is actually a short cut trail that will take you right straight down. You go down (or up) a thousand feet over .8 of a mile. Too much for my old legs.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

As always, I'm glad you had a great hike and I'm glad I wasn't there.

Bernice said...

Isn't it great you live where you do? If only Mrs. de-I could have better gardening conditions.

terri said...

I like the sounds of this trail. I've never really had a desire to hike before, but suddenly I see why it appeals to you so much.

alexis said...

I do love that trail, though I've probably only done it once.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Tempting the bears again I see. You'll be sorry if you keep messing around with them!!

Anonymous said...

Nice! I love finding new trails!