Thursday, January 7, 2010

Why Am I Even Surprised Any More

I should really totally expect this after all these years, but I'm still shocked at how inconsiderate other people are when they are faced with doing something unpleasant.

I was supposed to have someone come in for some training yesterday. It was scheduled over three days so I had pretty much not put anything else in my calendar. The week before I call to confirm. I make two phone calls to the persons cell phone and get no answer. Then over the weekend I send out an email with no response. I leave more messages on cell phone and home phone on Monday. No response.

Finally yesterday two hours before the person was scheduled to arrive I get this lame email telling me that he got a good project that was paying him a bunch and got caught up working on it and missed his plane. What! You're telling me there weren't inklings of this over the last few days? Is my time, schedule, life of no value? Evidently.

I wish I could say this is unusual but my experience is people will totally abuse your time before they'll pick up a phone and tell you no about something.

6 comments:

WeaselMomma said...

That does stink. Charge him anyway and take 3 days to do something fun for yourself.

alexis said...

I guess the silver lining is that you probably want to think twice before taking this guy on board. Honestly I think that's unacceptable.

terri said...

How unbelievably rude.

Unfortunately, I think that's the direction the next generations are heading. Texting only. No one speaks to one another. Total lack of common courtesy.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

I gotta say, it made me question whether I want to have any professional relationship with the guy. He's nice enough, but I'm not relying on him in any business capacity.

Anonymous said...

That sucks..I have similar stories since I hire and train people at my hotel. They take it for granted and just go through the motions. They half-ass it, while there are plenty of people on the street that would bust their butt just for minimum wage. The half-ass people don't last very long..


I'm always up for a new career if you need someone :)

Mike said...

Wow... I'd be pissed too. If you can't meet someone, at least let them know in advance.