Sunday, January 31, 2010

Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow

Oh how the mighty have fallen. I, who for years have ranted against hiking in the winter because of the cold and especially the dangers of the slippery ice and snow have been brought low, worn down by the persistent Gaius Derf.

It started last weekend when I discovered that it really was very pretty and that I had cloths that would really keep me warm. The final nail in the coffin came this weekend when Wife bought me a pair of Yak-Trax, a device for maintaining traction that the Derf swears by.

So off we went up the La Luz trail on Saturday right after a a snow fall on Friday.

Gaius Derf sure looks happy. Not sure if it is the wonderful day or the victory of the recalcitrant de-I

Making my way sure-footedly in the snow. The Yak-Trax are amazing!
Notice my toasty coat too.

Yak-Trax in use

It was 38 degrees, calm and blue skied but there was a heavy fog over the Rio Grande River

What the hey!
Stripping on the trail!

"What are you lookin' at buddy"
"You pervert"

Snow capped Sandia Peak

2.5 miles up
Snow about 10 inches deep
Not a slip practically on the whole hike

8 comments:

terri said...

It does look really beautiful! And 38 degrees isn't so bad. I'm glad to hear you like the Yak Trax. They make a version for runners and I have looked at them but not purchased any yet.

Anonymous said...

That is a totally cool shoe set-up. Isn't physics amazing?

Anonymous said...

very cool!

I wish I had a hiking partner. I don't like going alone, especially being inexperienced.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Good for you hiking up in the snow. And no falls! I told you though, you're leaving tracks that are easy for the bears to follow!!

alexis said...

I wish they made Yak-Trax for bicycles!

Pulisha said...

Only in NM. Looks truly beautiful!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing the pics! The Derf had a great time.... glad you gave it a try and liked it! I see more hiking in the snow in your future!!!

Mike said...

I'll just stay inside where it's warm, thank you. No Yak-Trax for this guy. :)

I never envisioned NM as having snow. Guess I need to get out more. Glad you enjoyed your hike!