Friday, October 9, 2009

NZ Foodie Special Post

As mentioned previously this has not been a food oriented trip. However, we were recommended by three different sources in a two day period to try a particular fish restaurant that is on our way from Dunedin to Christchurch in a little fishing village named Moeraki. The name of the restaurant is Fleur's Place.

The location and look says nothing.


But you look at the menu and the board of specials.



All the fish is locally caught and sold almost immediately. Wife and I opted for a whole baked fish each. She had a fish called Gurnard and I had a sea bream (a type of flat fish. Each was extremely simply prepared with a simple sauce on the side. Fish that is of the freshest quality is beyond explanation. It is nothing like what one gets typically at a store. And whole fish takes that to another dimension. Yes you have to deal with the bones and skin but the succulence, juiciness, cleanness of flavor is unsurpassed.

The gurnard is a firm white fish.


The bream was almost buttery in flavor and texture.



What else can I say. It was great.

4 comments:

stef said...

Wow. That looks amazing!

Bernice said...

If I recall my trip to Savannah with the photographer, she appreciates great food too.

Anonymous said...

Hm.... I do love fish, but I don't know if I can do the 'whole fish' thing.. I have an issue with eating food in it's original form, such as crab legs... and I don't think I would like seeing the eyeballs still there, just gazing up at me.

Mike said...

I'm not a fish eater at all... but I'm glad you found some good grub.