Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Theodora Update - The Baby Is Growing Up

It's like parenthood. It's not easy. It takes a long time. There are many times along the way when you are pulling your hair out. You wonder if you and they are going to make it.

Then.

One day.

You look at that person (or in this case venture) you nurtured and agonized over for so long and realize...

"I think they're going to make it. I think they're going to be okay."

 You know there is a long way to go. Life is a long, long, long series of tests that never stop until you give up the ghost. So, sure, there are going to be a lot more crises and events. But you have this feeling that your young charge has the ability to rise to the occasion. 

Let's go into some specifics.

The first quarter of the year we hit breakeven, even made a little profit. But we still had a bunch of bumps in the road. The attempt to move out of an office and go completely virtual bombed completely. The person I'd tried to make manager (over her objections I should state) imploded and we had a near revolt among the staff. We finessed the situation. We found a new office. We achieved peace.

Then I went through my own personal crises. I realized I had to stop working so hard. I kind of made an ultimatum to the team that they to had to take responsibility for the day-to-day stuff that was stressing me out or I was done (we maybe should do another post on how in Ghana no one listens to you until you are an asshole). This led to another outcry among the staff. But we worked our way through that as well. 

Now is where it gets interesting. Call it the law of unintended consequences working in your favor. 

The one person on the team who I've felt has the most potential and talent, but who has resisted mightily taking on more responsibility, suddenly starts acting managerial!

Two of our weaker people opt out, one by taking a leave of absence without pay, the other going to contractor status (so we only pay based on what we bill). This brings our payroll down so we are now in balance with our billings. It gets all our people to a point where they are being fully utilized.

Our ex-manager, now contractor, is producing at a prodigious rate, is handling a couple of our toughest clients, and projects. She's happy. We're happy. it is great.

The few issues that have come up that would normally have eaten at me, have been taken care of by my two managers without me even. 

I am teaching these two how to manage cash flow week-to-week. We had a meeting today. One of them said, "de-I you seem so happy now." I answered, "Sure I do. I am happy. Because you two are taking charge, thinking through the problems, and coming up with solutions so I don't have to. I can be a true CEO and work on the big picture now."

So there you have it. We have many more dramas to come because that is life. But I feel these young women are taking ownership of their business and future...at last.

 

2 comments:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

That is a pretty amazing update. You have all worked so hard to get where you are.

alexis said...

that is a great update! glad to see them being able to take those steps