Sunday, September 24, 2023

More Slow Grilling - Boneless Leg of Lamb

I am fully in the cooking battle lust these days. That is leading me to trying all kinds of different things. On Friday, I had some leftover Great Northern Beans and was inspired to make some Middle East flavor inspired patties. The idea was to have something crisp like falafel. Sadly, I didn't get the binding right and ended up with the patties melting. Then when I turned up the heat to hopefully crisp them, they burnt. So I ended up with bean pudding with crispy burnt bits. Wife was game and ate them all though. She is reluctant to complain about my failures as I might stop cooking all the meals and her having to cook. And that would be A DISASTER! (for her).   

On to more cheerful cooking, my slow grilling of a boneless leg of lamb. I haven't done this in ages and I wanted to try it with my new passion, the yogurt based marinade. 

The Marinade - I decided to go with the SE Asian flavor version with Fish Sauce, Miso, Curry Paste, Spicy Crab Paste, and Soy Sauce.

Then I use good Bulgarian Style Yogurt

That's right Bulgarian, not Greek. It is much looser and tangier, better for marinading.

You slightly saute the SE Asian flavorings. Let them cool and add the yogurt

And PLEASE Stop asking me for the amounts of things. I don't measure. I'm a Grandparent. It's traditional. Grandparents don't measure. We just add things by eye or feel. Because we know how much is enough. What? You want to know how much is ENOUGH? Easy, if it didn't turn out good, it wasn't enough or was too much.

Now we prepare our lamb - One boneless leg piece

You put a number of cuts along the width. This allows the whole to spread out. This will greatly reduce the cooking time and will allow the marinade to penetrate deeper into the meat.

Our meat in marinade ready to rest overnight in the fridge.

I used the same indirect grilling technique I used with the chicken a few weeks ago.

My accompaniment was a cabbage slaw with a dressing of mayonnaise, yogurt and a lot of fresh tarragon.

The finished product

In truth, it was a tad overcooked. The cutting technique really reduces the time it needs. But the flavor was crazy good.


2 comments:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

As usual, I don't have much to say about the meat posts. But it's delightful to see you jumping back into cooking.

alexis said...

your carnivore lust continues to produce results. I feel I'm going more vegetarian over here to compensate.