Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Getting Lighter By Going Heavy

A few days ago I decided that my schizophrenic life was not a sustainable model...not least since Wife seems ready to divorce me if I keep going on with my rants.

To review, prior to the change I will detail below, My days since the Stay-at-Home order have looked like this:
  • Get up, get the paper, read the paper while having breakfast and get intensely upset, angry and depressed.
  • Go upstairs and start working. Get pumped by all the stuff going on in my work and Ghana philanthropic life.
  • Go downstairs to make dinner. Listen to the TV news Wife has on while making dinner. Get upset, angry and depressed.
  • Sit in the Library after dinner, start writing but constantly look at the media on-line and keep my state of depression continuing. 
All in all a not very satisfactory way to maintain my equilibrium during this 'who knows how long' shutdown.

The solution? Give up the news! Newspapers, TV News, Online News. Give it all up. Or at least give up 90% of it. And replace it with ....wait for it....I don't think you can guess....No, that's not even close....It is...


YES! A GIGANTIC BOOK ON THE FRENCH REVOLUTION!

This is what I read at every meal now. And believe me, this thing is long. It is going to carry me through I think this whole damn shutdown. But more important, it is very well written, very readable, and has a boatload of interesting observations. I found myself today at both breakfast at lunch exclaiming out loud in response to an learning expressed int he book. That, in turn, has led to a demonstrable overall improvement in my emotional state.

So in times of pandemic, remember, the study of the French Revolution is there to carry you through!

4 comments:

Rob said...

So I guess you didn't hear about the alien invasion then... ah well. Trump is not handling it well :)

alexis said...

while I am pleased to hear you're off the news drip feed, I shudder in anticipation of the increase of French revolution metaphors we will be getting during the shut down.

de-I said...

Yes Alexis...be afraid...be very afraid...

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Unlike Alexis, I look forward to the forthcoming historical anecdotes. Vive la révolution!

(Also I should get bonus points for writing that last sentence because I have English, Spanish, and German keyboards installed on my phone and so it was *really* hard to convince my phone that I was actually trying to type something in French.)